Indecipherable Football Game On WBOQ

SteveOrdinetz hykker@grolen.com
Sat Sep 30 16:33:36 EDT 2006

At 01:42 PM 9/30/2006, Laurence Glavin wrote:
>At this very moment, 1:35 pm EDST Saturday Sept 30th, WBOQ-FM,COL
>Gloucester, MA
>is broadcasting a football game.  I was just fooling around checking the
>FM dial
>when I happened upon it, and noticed one thing:  the distortion level is
>off-the-charts!  I couldn't tell you the names of the teams, the score
>(not that I care) nor could I make out anything the announcers (who
>sound like the Young Turks on AirAmerica BTW) are saying.  Thanks to
>the clarity of FM, the drums sound like the coda to the finale of the
>Shostakovich Fifth Symphony (didn't Jerry Williams once say "those
>drums are driving me mad"?).  Bob Bittner used to opine that the football
>games on Saturday afternoons probably only reached the family members
>of the players, some alumni and the advertisers;  all of them must be confused
>today.

I once worked at a station where the PBP guy (in this case it was high
school basketball) was deaf as a stump & cranked the output of the mixer at
the gym to the max so he could hear himself.  Of course, he was also
overdriving the Marti or phone hybrid by doing so.  Maybe that's what was
happening here.