Globe: Channel 56 sale is done deal

Larry Weil kc1ih@mac.com
Thu Sep 14 19:15:30 EDT 2006

On Thursday, September 14, 2006, at 06:23PM, Stephanie Weil <stephanie@gordsven.com> wrote:

>On Thu, September 14, 2006 15:07, Sean Smyth wrote:
>
>> WHDH, though it plans on using its own personnel to produce
>> Channel 56 newscasts,
>
>You assume they're probably going to even produce their own newscast and
>not just re-run one station's newscast on the other channel at a later
>time?

Those of us who work here are always the last to know! :-)

There are a lot of details yet to be worked out, but it's not going to be a repeat.  The announcement today said the newscast for 56 would be a more contemporary newscast aimed at a younger audience than that for 7.  And besides, the 56 newscast is and will still be one hour, the 11 PM on 7 runs 35 minutes.  This station does have a reputation for "cheaping out" on such things, but they're not going to put their biggest money-maker at risk by making it a re-run.  They'll just push the existing employees to do more as much as they can.  They did say that they expect approx. 30 new employees (I'm guessing mostly from 56) to be joining us here.

There still remains much to be worked out in the details in the coming months.  And please don't expect me to post anything here that is not public information.

Larry Weil
WHDH-TV Master Control Operator
Lake Wobegone, NH