Radio in the tunnel

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Thu Sep 14 14:48:25 EDT 2006

> > From: Aaron Read <readaaron@friedbagels.com>
> CC: bri@bostonradio.org
> To: "A. Joseph Ross" <Joe@attorneyross.com>
> Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 16:46:27 -0400
> Subject: Re: Radio in the tunnel
>
> A. Joseph Ross wrote:
> >
> > I thought only AM stations couldn't penetrate tunnels. I
> > don't usually find FM stations fading in tunnels.
>
> The Sumner and Callahan Tunnels do have an added wrinkle in
> that they're (VERY loosely speaking) more-or-less in line
> with FM RF coming off the Pru...so you might not see much
> fading of Pru-based stations when you're in those tunnels;
> the walls act as a natural conduit for the RF and the Pru
> stations are all pumping out some hefty ERP to begin with.
> You will see fading of most non-Pru stations, though.

The Callahan and Sumner were "wired" a number of years ago.
Prior to that, there were small areas in the mid-point of
each where even the Class B's from the Pru barely came in,
if at all. Once you got closer to one end or the other,
especially to where you could see the exit, you could hear
them again.

EP