Local HD

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Fri Oct 20 00:43:43 EDT 2006

Mark Laurence wrote:
> Channel 5 is advertising that Chronicle will soon be going all HD.
> WNBC, channel 4 in New York, started broadcasting local news in HD about
> a month ago.  I wonder which Boston station will be the first to
> broadcast local news in HD?

My money's strongly on WCVB. I don't believe any CBS O&Os have made the
switch to HD local news yet, and Ed Ansin's spending heavily on buying
WLVI, so I suspect he won't be ponying up for HD gear at WHDH right
away. Fox does HD at one O&O - WJW in Cleveland - but isn't rushing to
convert its larger stations yet.

I wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised to see at least one station
in a smaller New England market make the leap before any Boston stations
do. Fewer cameras to replace, fewer ENG and satellite trucks and receive
sites to upgrade, no helicopters to upgrade. It's no coincidence that
the first stations to do HD local news have been in smaller markets -
WRAL in Raleigh, KARE in the Twin Cities, etc.

(In fact, given that Gannett, which owns KARE, has been in the forefront
of local HD news, WCSH could easily beat the Boston stations to HD. The
need to upgrade WLBZ as well - and to transport HD between Bangor and
Portland - might slow that down a bit.)