HD Radio Boston Area

Aaron Read readaaron@friedbagels.com
Fri Oct 13 16:20:15 EDT 2006

John Mullaney wrote:
> [...]

Yeesh.  I should've known you nitpickers would come out of the woodwork!
  :-)

Yes, yes, yes, I know not EVERY station on the Pru shares the same
antenna.  I meant you should try listening to the stations that ARE on
the same master antenna (yes, GM's WMJX, WROR, WBOS and WTKK's IBOC
signals are all combined and then injected into GM's analog master
antenna - see here:
http://www.rwonline.com/reference-room/iboc/07_rw_hd_boston_2.shtml

Especially out on the fringes, you'll notice that some come in better
than others.  Well, admittedly the last time I heard this effect was
nearly a year ago, it's likely they've tweaked it since then and maybe
the difference isn't so pronounced.   I don't have a car so I don't have
an IBOC car radio.  I've been pushing Zipcar to install 'em, though.  :-)

Anyways, as I just mentioned to Garrett, the presence of adjacent
channel interference can make a substantial difference in IBOC reception
since it's "all or nothing" digital.  See this article, for example:
http://www.rwonline.com/reference-room/iboc/2006.07.05-04_rw_hd_receiver.shtml

So that certainly could account for the variations in reception of
similar signals from the same location.  WXRV could, for example, affect
WBOS's signal when you're up in the Haverhill/Andover area.  But that
wouldn't affect WTKK's signal (just as an example).

--

Aaron Read

Fried Bagels - Broadcast Radio & Web
Engineering & Operations Consultant