Air America $20 million in debt

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Fri Oct 13 14:23:49 EDT 2006

At 12:27 PM 10/13/2006, Bob Nelson wrote:
>The network declared Ch. 11 bankruptcy today (ability to stay on air
>while they reorganize and pay off debt). The Smoking Gun has details;
>they owe $20 million (assets of $4 million)
>including almost $10 million to Rob Glaser of Real Networks and $360,000 to
>Al Franken.

My well-informed sources (people inside Air America Radio) say that a
large chunk of the money Al is owed is money HE lent Air America
during some times of financial crisis, just to keep it on the
air.  And one other well-informed source who is with a competitor
tells me Al is quietly shopping his show around to see if he can
place it elsewhere, in the event AAR doesn't get back on firm
financial ground.  There was a myth from Bill O'Lie-ly that Al was
being paid 500,000 a year or something-- I've seen some of the
financials, and no he wasn't paid anything close to that.  Like him
or not, Al really believes in progressive radio, and while AAR has
been run by some pretty inept people (including the dishonest
original founder, Evan Cohen, who incidentally was a long-time
Republican and supporter of Bush the Daddy... I only mention that
because some of those who are gloating on the right are ignoring that
a rightie is one of those who started this entire set of problems,
which AAR then compounded with some incredibly bad management decisions.)

Interestingly, if it's "liberal talk" that is a failure, why are the
Ed Schultz Show and the Stephanie Miller Show, both syndicated by the
Jones Radio Network, either breaking even (Stephanie) or making a
profit (Ed)...  AAR's problems are more complicated than "oh
progressive talk can't work."  We've discussed this before, and I
don't wanna beat a dead horese, so I'll just remind everyone from the
right that it took Limbaugh SEVEN YEARS to become a successful
talker, and sponsors were hesitant about being on his show then, just
like many are hesitant to start off with progressive talk now.  But
when talk shows are interesting and are on stations where you can
actually hear their signal, and when there is a promotion budget to
support some outside events to bring in new cume, there are a number
of markets where progressive hosts are getting very good
numbers.  The format is just 2 years old-- let's not write it off
because AAR has never figured out how to run their business cost-effectively...