WITS/Red Sox (was: And from Cape Cod.....)

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Wed Oct 4 11:26:59 EDT 2006

The story I heard is that a top Sox exec lived in Westwood and the night
signal there didn't please him. According to V-Soft, WWZN's night signal in
the 02090 ZIP code is 4.2 mV/m, which sounds high to me. I had thought that
1510 was inaudible there at night for anyone other than DXers. However, I
suppose that between WTWP and WWKB (literally), a 4.2 mV/m signal could be
essentially unlistenable. The strongest AM signal in Westwood is WEEI (170
mV/m at night; that's 10 times WBZ's signal and 40 times 1510's). WAMG does
very well there too; 45 mV/m days/21 mV/m nights. (WAMG's NIF--nighttime
interference-free--value is 12.5 mV/m, so a substantial part, and maybe all
of Westwood gets an NIF signal from 890). WRKO's numbers are 12 days/13
nights. Back in 1981, the contribution of first adjacents was not included
in the NIF-coverage calculation, so back then, 1510's night signal, which
doesn't get a lot of co-channel interference, might have looked a lot better
on paper in Westwood than it sounded.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367