Bye Bye Boston's Progressive Talk?

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Wed Nov 29 01:28:01 EST 2006

If it's true, that would be a shame, but I'm not surprised.  I'm a
regular listener and I haven't heard  a lot of paid spots on the
station.  Clear Channel did virtually nothing to promote the format,
and with poor signals that reached small portions of the market and an
all satellite lineup, no wonder it failed to take off.  Progressive
talkers with decent signals and local morning shows have done better,
such as in Portland, OR and Seattle.  I figured that CC would at least
wait until the WKOX upgrade was complete and give the format a chance
to work on a more competitive signal.  Maybe Air America's troubles
along with the lack of revenue is finally what put this experiment to
an end.

It could also be related to the restructuring of the company.  CC has
signed off several progressive talkers around the country recently and
installed formats that can make some easy short term revenue to boost
value.  Could it be that CC is prepping 1200 and 1430 to be spun off?
They're getting rid of a lot of smaller market and underperforming
signals as part of their plans to go private.  The two AM's are not
"core assets" no matter what format they put on them.

Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"