Clear Channel Vermont

Garrett Wollman wollman@csail.mit.edu
Sat Nov 25 13:23:46 EST 2006

<<On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 03:53:42 -0500, "Bob Nelson" <raccoonradio@gmail.com> said:

> I guess they own WEAV 960 & WXZO 96.7 (talk and sports talk); WCPV 101.3
> (classic rock), and WEZF 92.9 (AC). Maybe WVPS 107.9 does well enough that
> VPR wouldn't need them, but who knows (they did add a translator at 95.3
> in Middlebury)

VPR is running three services these days, only one of which is on a
signal that reaches large parts of the Champlain Valley.  I can't see
them getting 92.9, but 96.7 and 101.3 both cover a useful area that
doesn't currently receive VPR Classical.

What of the other players in the market?

Paul Goldman (620/95.5)
Hall (1230/98.9/99.9/105.1/106.7)
Dennis Jackson (102.5)
Nassau (104.3 once they finish moving it)
Steve Silberberg (93.7/103.3/104.7/...)

Goldman has been in the market for a long time (if you count his
father, since 1960), and could have had any of the minor signals that
Clear Channel is spinning before Clear Channel bought them, had he
been sufficiently interested.

Hall is capped out for FMs.

DJ puts new facilities on the air; I suspect he would find the market
for one of the existing signals a bit rich, never mind a whole
cluster.  (But he does have roots in the market, having been one of
the original -- rejected -- applicants for 95.3A South Burlington,
which is now 95.5C2.)

Nassau currently has the 104.3 on the market, and hasn't built out
that move in any case, but they could easily go the other way, and
already have a strong presence in other markets in the state.

-GAWollman