Report: Clear Channel to keep Midcoast Maine stations

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Fri Nov 24 15:17:24 EST 2006

CC/Portsmouth has some decent performers, like WHEB and WERZ , but
there are plenty of dogs in that cluster like WUBB, WQSO and all of the
AM's. They may eventually spin off some of these lesser properties and
hold onto the moneymakers.

While CC has relatively few stations in Worcester & Boston, all of them
with the exception of WKOX and WXKS-AM bill extremely well.  Kiss and
Jam'n together bill well north of $30 million a year.  WSRS is the big
dog in Worcester and WTAG does about as well as you can expect from a
5000 watt AM.  I doubt that Clear Channel would want to part with any
of those stations.  They've been able to squeeze out maximum revenue
with lower capital costs and less personnel in these markets.  Once the
signal upgrade to WKOX is complete, I could see them selling off 1430.

Providence, Springfield and New Haven do reasonably well with
relatively few signals in those clusters. They probably bill quite well
in comparison to markets of similar size in other parts of the country,
which is why CC is keeping them.  They have their issues right now in
Hartford (particularly WKSS and WPHH) but overall that has been a solid
market for them.

I'm not surprised they are keeping Midcoast Maine, at least for now.
Real estate prices in that area are soaring and towns are increasing in
population.  Unlike many New England markets, The Midcoast is in a
major growth mode, and Clear Channel feels they can reap some benefits
down the line.

Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"