Local News Departments

Don A. Donald_Astelle@yahoo.com
Sun Nov 19 02:35:18 EST 2006

> > The General Tire & Rubber Company's broadcast operation, RKO-General,
> > was "invited" to vacate the broadcasting business after the parent
> > company was convicted in federal court of bribery.
>
> That's not supported by the record.  WNAC lost its license over "lack
> of candor" (because RKO General was denying the accusations before the
> FCC at the same time as General Tire was admitting to them in another
> proceeding), not a felony conviction.

I have heard that the reason the FCC persisted with this case to the degree
that they did, was because Tip O'Neil had an ax to grind with General
Tire/Rubbah.  (I understand this was only the 2nd time in History that a TV
station lost it's licence, the first being the old WHDH-TV Ch 5.)

The circumstances about GTR and Ch 7 were blown out of porportion and lived
a longer life than it ever should have.  I think GTR sought to postpone the
decision thru different administrations....but as long as Tip O'Neil was
there (which was a lonnnnng time) the case againts GTR continued.

Thats my understanding....