DePetro fired...

Sean Smyth sean.smyth@yahoo.com
Sat Nov 4 23:58:48 EST 2006

Daniel Billings <billings@suscom-maine.net> wrote:
> So calling someone fat is hate speech?
>
> Or is calling an actual lesbian, a lesbian hate speech?
>
> There are lots of derogatory terms for homosexuals which the use of
> on the
> air would be a firing offense in my book, but the last time that I
> checked,
> gay and lesbian were acceptable terms.  Did I miss a memo?

It wasn't hate speech. It was, though, irrelevant to the point being
discussed. And some people feel the word lesbian still has some
negativity attached to it, even in 2006. So what if she's an overweight
lesbian? How does that relate to the point at hand that DePetro was
making -- i.e. she was wasting everyone's time?

And I'll go along with the gang that says they were looking for a
reason to can him already, and this provided a nice chance to do so and
-- I don't know if comments deemed offensive by the suits would be
covered in some kind of contractual, "unbecoming behavior" clause --
potentially cut bait without having to write another check. Consider
his previous incidents: the fag comment, his on-air fight with the WPRO
(or was it WHJJ) host, etc.