DePetro fired...

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sat Nov 4 12:16:47 EST 2006

>Bob wrote--
>
>If the FD comes back, talk stations won't want to be
>running anything "controversial" for fear that they'll have to "give
>the other side"

That is, excuse me for saying so, total nonsense.  Even during the
days of the FD, it never said you had to immediately give the other
side.  It just said you couldn't attack somebody viciously (as
Michael Savage is wont to do) without providing them with the
opportunity to come on the air and respond.  There were plenty of
interesting and often controversial talk show hosts who functioned
just fine under the Fairness Doctrine.  The late great Jerry Williams
certainly was not bland or boring, and he still managed to stay on
the right side of the Doctrine.  It just made everybody a little more
responsible and a little less nasty.  I don't think that's
necessarily a bad thing.