WMEX (was AM stereo WLYN)

Brian Vita brian_vita@cssinc.com
Mon May 29 10:07:28 EDT 2006

Donna Halper wrote:

> Oh Brian, you're joking, right?  One of the oldest stereotypes on the
> planet is that Hollywood is dominated by Jews.  Au contraire.  For one
> thing, most of the studios are owned by overseas concerns which have
> few if any Jews on their boards.  .  And while Spielberg or Streisand
> may be identifiably Jewish, these days, Hollywood is a pretty diverse
> place where there are just as many non-Jews-- if we were to start
> naming major directors, I think we'd have as large a number of
> gentiles in fact.   But your two Orthodox Jews had a point-- there are
> not too many highly religious people (whether it's Orthodox Jews or
> Evangelical Christians) working in Hollywood.  It's a pretty secular
> place, based on what I've seen...

While I can't address the entire entertainment industry, after spending
my entire adult life in the movie industry, I think that I can
adequately address this.  The post was not a critique or part of some
conspiracy theory and was not in any way meant to be anti-semitic; it
was simply an observation.

When I started in the exhibition industry 20+ years ago, it was
predominantly Jewish.  Whether this was by design or coincidence, I
don't know.  The upper management of Boston's primary circuit, Sack
Theaters, was entirely Jewish; Sack, Frieberg, Goldwater, et al.  The
other predominant chain, Redstone (nee Rheinstein) was also Jewish.
Above the entry level in the distribution area, was liberally sprinkled
with Horowitzes, Weinsteins, Weisbergs, etc.

I don't think that there was any conspiracy or sinister plot to control
the industry.  The point that I was making was that the entertainment
industry was one of the (possibly few) places where anti-semitism was
not a problem.

--
Brian T. Vita, President
Cinema Service & Supply, Inc.