Spring Arbs Shockers - Now the Future of AM

Garrett Wollman wollman@csail.mit.edu
Mon May 29 00:52:15 EDT 2006

<<On Sun, 28 May 2006 23:10:49 -0400, "A. Joseph Ross" <joe@attorneyross.com> said:

> Not the way I've heard it.  HD AM audio would be comparable to analog
> FM, and HD FM audio would be CD quality.

>From what I've heard (as in actually listened to, not what iBiquity
claims), HD "AM" is comparable to 32k streaming audio (which should
come as no surprise) and HD "FM" is comparable to real wideband FM
(the artifacts are just different).  The VHF system could sound a
*lot* better than FM, but most stations would rather devote that extra
bit-budget to a second (or third, or fourth) service.  (The Eureka-147
world went through this a few years ago, which helps to explain why
DVB-T is the most popular "digital radio" platform in Europe -- the
bandwidth available is much higher, so the same stations sound better
on DVB than they do on "DAB".)

-GAWollman