WMEX (was AM stereo WLYN)

Brian Vita brian_vita@cssinc.com
Sun May 28 23:52:11 EDT 2006

Dan Strassberg wrote:

>WROW's (then) owner, Harry L Goldman, decided that the name
>Arnold Friedman just sounded too Jewish for his station. I guess advertisers
>could buy time without ever finding out that the station was owned by a guy
>named Goldman but they had to know that one of the announcers was named
>Friedman. I wonder whether there were any conversations between sales staff
>and advertisers that went something like : "A Jew? at OUR station? Oh, you
>must mean that guy Friedman. No, things just didn't work out with him. He's
>gone."

Strange but there are still people concerned about the stereotype.
While slightly off topic but still on the same subject, I had a similar
situation happen to me during a consulting gig a few years ago.  I was
down in Queens consulting for two Orthodox Jewish gentlemen who had just
closed their sweater mill and were considering turning it into an
entertainment complex which would have included a movie theatre.  Late
into the afternoon they kind of pigeon holed me into a corner and asked
me, quite seriously, if I thought it would be a problem for them getting
into the entertainment business because they were Jews.  I had to
explain to them it was more difficult for me being a non-Jew.
Apparently these guys hadn't heard of Speilberg, Louis B Meyer, and the
other 80% of Hollywood.

--
Brian T. Vita, President
Cinema Service & Supply, Inc.