WMEX (was AM stereo WLYN)

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sun May 28 23:10:49 EDT 2006

On 28 May 2006 at 14:59, Glenn and Judy Spatola wrote:

> At one time in the early 1960's the WMEX daytime line-up included BOTH
> Mel Miller and Melvin X Melvin.  It was Fenway (mornings til 10) ,
> then Mel Miller (mid-days 10 to 2),  and Melvin X Melvin (2 to 6pm).
> Dan Donovan was not part of the schedule during that time.

I only started listening to WMEX in the summer of 1962, which was
between my junior and senior years in high school.  That was when
WCOP suddenly stopped the rock & roll format.  At that time, Mel
Miller and Melvin X. Melvin were both on the schedule, Miller in the
morning and Melvin in the afternoon.  between them was either Dan
Donovan or "The Jones Boy," I forget which.  So I suppose it was
possible for someone to do an airshift in the morning, take three
hours off, and then another in the afternoon.  Mel Miller used a bit
of an echo, which may have partly kept his voice sounding different.

WMEX reception at night in my little corner of Bedford was very bad,
and it was often difficult to keep WKBW from interfering.  Before
WCOP ended the rock & roll format, the only time I listened to WMEX
was on Sunday evening, when Arnie Ginsburg played oldies for an hour
or so.  I can't remember how I even discovered that.

Since it was summer and I was home in the daytime a lot, I had plenty
of chance to listen to WMEX in the daytime, and that was when I
discovered the wonderfully weird ambiance of the station, and it
became my favorite station.

I had an FM radio at the time, so I had the option of listening to
rock & roll music on WKBR-FM in Manchester, and I sometimes did
(especially at night, when WBZ and WMEX had talk shows), but WMEX was
my favorite at that time because of the weirdness of the DJs.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581