Spring Arbs Shockers

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sat May 27 22:12:00 EDT 2006

On 27 May 2006 at 12:40, rogerkirk wrote:

> >Long ago, I think.  The situation of a dominant AM band and a need to
> > encourage FM is about 40 years out of date.
>
> Yes, but now we have a dominant FM band and a need to encourage AM.

I think the situation is different.  AM is older technology.  I
suspect the best thing that could be done to encourage AM might be to
require receiver manufacturers to do a decent job with the AM part of
the receiver.

Are people still applying for new AM stations?  If so, I wonder why.

It occurs to me that if most of the commercial broadcasters go away,
the AM band, with or without IBOC, and perhaps with some new
standards for station separation, might become an ideal place for low-
power community stations and college and high-school stations,
instead of trying to find places to fit them in on FM.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581