Clear Channel & HD Radio

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@gmail.com
Sun May 14 16:05:43 EDT 2006

On 5/14/06, Garrett Wollman <wollman@csail.mit.edu> wrote:

> Actually, it's only 1,000 watts.  IBOC sideband power is 20 dB down
> from the main carrier.  (So in a way, IBOC is a means for radio
> stations to shift their electricity costs onto listeners.)

OK, good to know. The Radio INK article ("Beasley Broadcast Group's
WKIS FM/KISS Country, has launched a new radio station, the 100,000
watt Gretchen 99.9 in HD.") and
a press release in .pdf format by the station both said "100,000
watts". So does this mean that they put out 1,000 watts, but the
_coverage area_ would be similar to that of a 100kW station?
(btw, I looked up the regular WKIS-FM signal on radio-locator.com, and
it said that the regular signal was 100kW)...coverage map:
http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WKIS&service=FM&status=L&hours=U