WWZN and Kinstar antennas

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Wed May 10 07:06:30 EDT 2006

I think Piedmont is a Class B. I believe the night pattern RMS is just
greater than 140.85 mV/m @ 1 km, qualifying the station for Class B status
and nighttime protection. Were this not the case, no CoL change would have
been required to add night service, and the Col WAS changed from San Rafael
to Piedmont.

As for how you mollify Canada for constructing a facility that interferes
with a dark or unbuilt internationally notified Canadian facility, Ron
Rackley has done it, thus enabling WYLL's increase to 50 kW-N. There was an
unbult 1160 station in, I believe, North Bay ON. Rackley was able to get
Canada to accept replacing it with an unbuilt station on, IIRC, 770. I think
the replacement has a higher NIF than the original, but, notwithstanding,
probably covers more area because of the lower frequency. To my knowledge,
this is the only case in which something like that has been accomplished
with Canada.

However, I don't understand how WDGY 630 Hudson WI (St Paul MN)
was able to get its now-built upgrade to 2.5 kW-N from the WCTS site. That
upgrade appears to destroy a co-channel Canadian somewhere in SK or MB--and
AFAIK, THAT station is still on the air. The WDGY signal is aimed
north-northwest. All the years that the late KDWB occupied 630 in the Twin
Cities, it was limited to 500 W-N (5 kW-D) and had a night pattern with a
deep minimum to the north. Before its upgrade, WDGY was running something
like 230W-N as a Class D from what it now the site of co-owned WMIN 740.
That site is much closer to Hudson than is the WCTS site. And WDGY's 230W
night pattern was, like KDWB's, deeply nulled to the north.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367