WMEX 50 KW DA days

Robert F. Sutherland madprof@ix.netcom.com
Tue May 9 08:55:15 EDT 2006

while the subject of the old WMEX is still in the Groups thoughts, n
a memory & a request:

In my high school days (1962-68) in New Lebanon NY, 42:27:35,73:24:03
east of Albany, west of Pittsfield MA,   I used to listen to either WMEX or
WNLC 1510 New London,  at first depending on propagation conditions
(the luck of the day), then later when I used a home-brew 12”  loop
to directionalize & null out (well, sometimes imperfectly)  the non-desired
signal.
This was using an old tube Zenith upright (wooden case with rounded top,
 12” (15”?) vernier dial with excellent side-channel rejection.
At age 15, the ability of separating WMEX vs. WNLC  felt to be a major
accomplishment.     Please note that WKBW 1520 was ~ 277 miles away,
and WPTR Albany 1540 was ~30 miles, which this radio rejected well.
I admit, I preferred WMEX then, due to music selection.

     a request:    (those who have heard this before from me, forgive me)
in the interest of the exercise of recreating the old WMEX theoretical
patterns
for 50kd, 5kn,    and comparing to   current WWZN theoretical patterns:
anyone who knows the WMEX (N.Quincey) array parameters
(2 towers,  field ratio, phase, spacing, orientation  & RMS Theoretical)

-  I asked Grady Moates, who said when he ran across them, he’d send
(Grady, I’m not complaining - you justifiably have much higher priorities
every day).
-   I wrote John  Garabedian,  who never replied.
-  An inquiry to the FCC was answered with willingness, if I would pay their
search fee of $20.hr, expected 4 hours.... which I canit quite justify in my
budget.

 - Dan Strassberg (thank you so much!)   was able to provide a verbal
description of  the old
DA-1 pattern “inexact plot” from a ~1970 NRC Night pattern book, and for the
50kd  CP day pattern,
and history of the array “move”,  namely Commonwealth of Mass took part of
the property to build the
new bridge  across the Neponset River),  which caused the towers to be
duplicated a fraction of a
wavelength east and slightly north of its original location by building a
second tower due north of the
new day tower.

  I visited the Squantum site  (deep boots recommended, & very slippery mud)
, able to generally
verify Dan’s notes.

But, I still wish to learn the array parameters!     PLEASE post if you know
them, or have any other
suggestions

Bob Sutherland