WMEX 50 KW DA days

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sun May 7 23:43:32 EDT 2006

Doug Drown wrote:
> Were WWKB (nee WKBW) and WGR once co-owned?  Seems I recall that WKBW was
> originally a religious station.

It was - the calls were said to stand for "Well-Known Bible Witness,"
though I suspect that was made up after the fact.

Later, both stations were owned by the BBC. The *Buffalo* Broadcasting
Corporation, that is. It was in that era that the diplexed six-tower
site in Hamburg was built. The duopoly ended in the early forties, when
the FCC implemented its one-to-an-owner rule.

Of course, the stations came to be co-owned again much, much later in
their lives...