Boston stations at long hauls (was WMEX 50 KW DA days)

markwa1ion@aol.com markwa1ion@aol.com
Sun May 7 21:32:14 EDT 2006

WMEX-1510 North Quincy, MA (pre-1981; 50 kW day, 5 kW night) and WWZN
(et al.) Waltham, MA more recently both hit Europe with a lot of RF
when propagation is right.  In 1977 I heard the N. Quincy version quite
well in Ireland and, via the DXTuners network of PC-controlled
receivers, got WWZN recently on the Ilfracombe, UK and Rommele, Sweden
receivers.

DX Audio page "http://home.comcast.net/~markwa1ion/dx_audio.htm" has
audio clips of WBZ-1030 heard in Australia, Midway Island (Pacific),
and Florida; WWZN-1510 heard in UK and Sweden; and WHDH/WEEI-850 heard
in Ireland and UK.

As far as other Boston-area stations, 590 I've heard as far as the
Delmarva peninsula (Bethany Beach); 680 to Ireland; 740 and 950 to Nova
Scotia; 800 to Montauk, NY; 1060 & 1090 to Newfoundland; 1120 to Maine;
1150 to Montauk, NY; 1260 to Ireland;
1200/1230/1300/1390/1410/1430/1460/1550/1600 to Newfoundland; 1360 to
Montauk, NY.

Quite a while ago, US Navy guy Charlie Taylor noted many Boston and NYC
stations all day from Bermuda.  Before 1030 got piled up with other
stations, WBZ could be heard all day (on good equipment: R-390A,
Beverage) from Jacksonville, FL.

Jacksonville's 690 and the Turks and Caicos 530 can be heard all day
from West Dennis Beach on Cape Cod, at least on a Drake R8A.

Amazing what salt water will do.

Mark Connelly - Billerica, MA

<<
I think when WMEX was at the Quincy transmitter site (where the bank
complex is now) it was 50 KW DA days, power reduction at night.