Soxless Boss

Garrett Wollman wollman@csail.mit.edu
Sat May 6 19:31:22 EDT 2006

<<On Sat, 6 May 2006 19:26:49 -0400, I wrote:

> The practical upshot of this is that an AM station which reduces power
> in one direction must consequently radiate more in another direction,
> since the power is computed on the transmitter side of the phasing
> network.

Unless, of course, the station uses parasitics -- but I don't believe
any U.S. station is licensed to do so.  Some stations elsewhere do,
however; PJB in Bonaire was formerly one example: one tower was driven
by the 500-kW transmitter, and four towers surrounding it in the near
field were tuned or detuned to provide the desired directional
pattern.

-GAWollman