Soxless Boss

Garrett Wollman wollman@csail.mit.edu
Sat May 6 12:12:52 EDT 2006

<<On Sat, 06 May 2006 13:49:47 +0000, Cohasset / Hippisley <cohasset@frontiernet.net> said:

> As I recall, WBZ uses two towers (probably a quarter wavelength, or
> about 230 feet, apart) to create a cardioid pattern with the null
> essentially due east and a very broad maximum from North through West to
> South

Almost correct.  WBZ's towers are quarter-wave spaced and half a wave
tall with a 1:1 field ratio.  Only trouble is they were built for 990
kHz, so everything is just slightly off at 1030.  To compensate for
the over-spacing, the phase angle is 86 degrees instead of 90 as would
be expected.

-GAWollman