Joe Green - RIP and others...

Eli Sherer eli@sherer.us
Fri May 5 21:04:03 EDT 2006

That would have been his old Bell 47.... I remember the big  WBZ
fixed floats on that one too.

Joe rarely flew in a backup machine because a) he never let it be
down for maintenance, and b) he didn't like flying without the
floats. Maybe it was because he knew he took some risk and didn't
want to drop into Boston Harbor without them, or maybe because he
enjoyed the recognition of having the call letters emblazoned across
the machine (and he often flew much lower than the "standard" 500
feet in Boston).

The time I flew with him, it was hot as hell in that Enstrom... but
Joe kept his shirt on... Not often the case in the summer when he
could be seen (or more accurately from the ground, not seen), flying
in shorts and no shirt... but that damn helmet and a cigar!

-Eli