Soxless Boss

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Fri May 5 16:51:38 EDT 2006

John Francini wrote:

> You mean WEEI-FM on 107.3, right?  Wonder what sort of calls 103.7 would
> get, unless it was one of those multi-transmitter simulcasts. (I
> remember such a thing in the San Francisco Bay Area--IIRC, there was a
> single station, with a single set of calls, on 98.9 and 99.1 -- 98.9 was
> in San Jose, 99.1 in San Francisco.  But I could be wrong!)

'Twas two separate licenses, with two separate calls. It was KDBK 98.9
San Francisco/KDBQ 99.1 Santa Cruz, during the "Double 99" period. I
think Viacom owned them then. Today, the stations are still
simulcasting, under Univision Radio, as "Estereo Sol" KSOL 98.9/KSQL 99.1.

The only way to have multiple transmitters with the "same" call is if
you have a main transmitter and boosters on the same channel, and even
then the boosters actually have separate calls, though they're not
announced on the air. (KSOL, for instance, has on-channel boosters
KSOL-FM2 in Sausalito and KSOL-FM3 in Pleasanton. Dunno what happened to
KSOL-FM1.)