Joe Green - RIP

Bill O'Neill me@billoneill.us
Fri May 5 10:39:37 EDT 2006

Tony Abruzzese wrote:
> Heard Early this morning on WBZ that former traffic reporter Joe
> Greene passed away on Wednesday,
You can bring on all of the sentiment and still have room for more when
discussing this broadcast legend. Condolences to his family and friends.

Growing up in the 60s-70s, Joe Greene was (dare I say it) a guy you
couldn't help but to look up to. Out there blazing the trail. I was one
of those guys disappointed when Greene was relegated to 10 second
pop-ins to Metro reports.  Despite the fact that you knew that Metro was
just as accurate, it was hard to see how a guy actually "looking" at the
traffic wasn't leading the reports, the other way around.  I also found
it interesting that Greene never went with the helmet-mount and stayed
with a hand-held mic all while operating the WBZ Flying Machine (not the
"Greene Machine" as referenced in the Globe article.)

Bill O'Neill