What station was Clemens' first 20-K game on? I can tell you!!!

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Mon May 1 15:52:59 EDT 2006

Donna Halper wrote:
> Okay fine, I have it from my files-- Boston Globe, 1 May 1986, p. 58:
> "There was little public access to the game. Only 13,414 attended. Most
> local sports fans were tuned in to the Celtic play-off battle. The Red
> Sox were televised on NESN cable but were not available on AM radio in
> Boston (the Celts were on *WRKO*, bumping the Sox to FM -- *WROR*)."
>
> Why WROR is something you can perhaps explain to me.

If WRKO had the rights to both the Sox and the Celtics, as it apparently
did in 1986, it would have made sense to bump one of the teams to the
co-owned FM in case of a conflict. It was less common then to see sports
conflicts get bumped to a non-co-owned signal, as has become fairly
normal now.

Did RKO still own WRKO/WROR that late, or had the stations already ended
up in new hands?