WLLH-AM Lawrence Transmitter Off-The-Air

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Sun Mar 12 13:38:11 EST 2006

For newcomers to the Liszt and those otherwise unaware of the
WLLH-AM 1400 situation:  for many decades, WLLH-AM 1400 has
operated as a primarily Lowell, MA station with a theoretically
"synchronized" transmitter/antenna atop an office building in
downtown(?) Lawrence.  Most of the care and attention of the
operation was on its Lowell base;  the Lawrence outlet very
often was an afterthought.  Thus over the years, WLLH's Lawrence
stick would go down for days, even weeks at a time.  And once again
the 1400 in Lawrence has been inoperative for the whole weekend so far.
WLLH's Lowell tower is a real tower with a typical grounding
system and everything so during the day, it covers parts of the
Lawrence, Methuen, Andover megalopolis pretty well (sorry
North Andover).  There's a little back-story about WLLH-AM
going back to last summer in its final weeks as a Hispanic
station.  For a change, WLLH in Lowell went down for several
weeks and the programming was only available from Lawrence.
That little "flagpole" firing at a bit less than 1,000 watts
I believe nonetheless reached out about a dozen miles during
daylight hours, more than I would have figured.  In fact,
during the Lowell outage I drove though Lowell center out to route 3 and
the accident-prone rotary and held on to the signal fairly well
except under really bad overhead electrical interference
(what's happening now in Methuen for WLLH Lowell).  What I
really wanted was to have WLLH Lawrence go down at least once
while Lowell was gone, just to see if I could get even
a glimmer of a signal from the 1400s in Fall River, Mass and
Biddeford, ME, but it never happened.