Top 40 competitors

David Tomm nostaticatall@comcast.net
Fri Jun 16 13:38:54 EDT 2006

I grew up in Colchester, halfway between Hartford and the beaches.  I
could pick up WDRC during the day but not well, and at night it was
gone.  WPOP didn't reach that far south.   As a little kid, I listened
to  WABC and WNBC primarily because they came in better, but they also
had better jocks and music than WDRC.  When WTIC-FM switched from B/EZ
to Top 40 in 1977, I jumped over.

While much was made of the competition between WPOP and WDRC, there was
a second top 40 war from 1984 to 1993 when WKSS eventually flipped to
Top 40 and battled with WTIC-FM.  TIC-FM usually won out until the very
end when Kiss finally overtook them in the early 90's.  I was able to
experience it firsthand as a weekend jock at WKSS in 1990.   It ended
with TIC-FM flipping to it's current Hot AC format, but that battle was
just as competitive--if not more so--than the WDRC vs. WPOP wars of a
generation earlier.

--Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"