Legends Format in Albany

Matthew Osborne mattosborne1976@yahoo.com
Fri Jun 16 10:22:57 EDT 2006

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 21:27:20 "A. Joseph Ross"
<joe@attorneyross.com> wrote, in response to the
Legends format being discontinued in Albany:

> I'm sorry to hear it was discontinued.  Since the
> 1540 signal comes
> in quite strongly at night around the Boston area, I
> listened to it
> regularly when it was on AM.  I was disappointed
> when it moved to FM,
> but I understood why it made sense to move a music
> format to FM.

Although it made sense, it sounded to me like they
made that move to FM only halfheartedly, with little
to no planning whatsoever.  I remember listening to
Legends about a week after they moved to FM, and the
sound quality, amongst other things, was absolutely
awful.  Station jingles and several songs they played
sounded mono - it sounded literally like they just
plugged the AM console into the FM transmitter, made
no changes to the signal processing whatsoever, and
didn't even bother to make sure things were tweaked
for FM (even if the station jingles were not recorded
in stereo, at least they could've cleaned them up to
remove the artifacts and imperfections in them that
did not show up in AM but were very apparent on FM).
Needless to say, in the face of competition from WKLI
(100.9 FM) which was properly tweaked for FM, their
96.7 FM incarnation of Legends collapsed in a matter
of a couple months.

                                 Matt Osborne
                                 Schenectady, NY