Talk for Women

David Tomm nostaticatall@comcast.net
Thu Jun 1 16:43:59 EDT 2006

There's a couple of different approaches to this new breed of "female
talk."  One is the more traditional direction without the politics like
Charlie's station is running.  That would include shows like Dr. Laura,
Joy Browne, Satellite Sisters, etc.

There's also a more "entertainment" style which is led by morning show
type programs that target women, but airing them all day long.  A
perfect example of this is the programming on WLNK/Charlotte, NC.  They
are the flagship station for the syndicated Bob & Sheri morning show,
but air other similar shows throughout the day.  This station recently
brought in WFLY/Albany's morning show, Candy and Potter, and put them
on middays.  Another show along the same lines, Matt and Ramona, airs
in PM drive there.  Each of these programs play maybe three or four
songs an hour and the rest is female oriented talk content.  Despite
relatively low 12+ numbers, WLNK is one of the highest billing stations
in that market, and do very well with 25-54 women--a prime sales
demographic.  Other Hot AC's and even a few CHR's around the country
are beginning to experiment with the "morning show" approach outside of
morning drive as well.

Not only are we seeing this with female talk, it's also emerging in
Urban radio as well.  Many stations are running Wendy Williams or
Michael Baisden in afternoon drive.  These shows are similar in
structure to what's airing on WLNK--just a few songs an hour with
plenty of talk targeted to the 25-44 or 25-54 demographic.  Some urban
stations, like KKBT/Los Angeles, are airing these types of shows in all
dayparts.

Stations are starting to figure out that content is king and that
jukebox radio ultimately fails in the long run.  But most of us on this
list already knew that...

--Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"