Dick Summer reveals the REAL father of classic rock radio inBoston

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Jul 31 07:00:08 EDT 2006

I'm guessing, but I think Bradley arrived at WROW in 1953 or 1954. I don't
remember whether he was still at WROW when I graduated from RPI in late May
1956, but he may have been. As I recall (but I may be wrong), he didn't
appear at WBZ until I had been in Boston for a short while--and I arrived
for the summer session at MIT immediately after I graduated from RPI. I
think he and I are about the same age, which would put him in his early 70s
now. I think he was newly married when he arrived at WROW and that shortly
after he started work there, his wife gave birth to twins. If I'm right
about his age, he more than likely didn't go to college. If that's the case,
he probably started in radio in Buffalo while he was in high school and the
WROW gig could well have been his first full-time radio gig--apart from
summer jobs. If that's so, his talent was even more amazing because he
sounded like a seasoned pro at a very early age.

As far as other WROW announcers, I used to listen to George Leighton's
late-night show almost every evening. It started right after the 11:00 news
and was called "White Tower's Myoooz...ical Menu." The music was, as I
recall, a blend of MOR and EZ. The sponsor was, of course, that chain of
greasy little hamburger joints that, in those days, dotted the downtown
areas of places like Albany, Troy, and even New York City.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367