Dick Summer reveals the REAL father of classic rock radioin Boston

rogerkirk rogerkirk@ttlc.net
Sun Jul 30 08:39:06 EDT 2006

Donna Halper wrote:

>That is true to a certain extent-- daytime it was a straight-ahead
>top-40, but the overnight show always had more freedom, so Dick could
>use drop-ins (or "hacks" as they used to be called) and occasionally
>play songs nobody else on the station played, especially weird
>novelty records like "Grandpa's Grave."  ('They're removing grandpa's
>grave to build a sewer..'-- ah they don't write lyrics like that
>anymore.)

"They're Shifting His Remains To Put In Sewage Drains"

IIRC, Grandpa's Grave was even played by Dave Maynard.  Dave also had his own little shtick - a spoken word piece about "The Twister" - a person who danced "The Twist"

I also recall a frequently-used vocal drop-in that went:  "Rub Your Belly With Linseed Oil & Wrap Your Head In Aluminum Foil!"
Anybod know where that comes from?

Grandpa's Grave was by Peter Sellers.