Dick Summer reveals the REAL father of classic rock radio in Boston

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sun Jul 30 00:59:41 EDT 2006

On 29 Jul 2006 at 12:28, Donna Halper wrote:

> That is true to a certain extent-- daytime it was a straight-ahead
> top-40, but the overnight show always had more freedom, so Dick could
> use drop-ins (or "hacks" as they used to be called) and occasionally
> play songs nobody else on the station played, especially weird novelty
> records like "Grandpa's Grave."  ('They're removing grandpa's grave to
> build a sewer..'-- ah they don't write lyrics like that anymore.) But
> the daytime jocks also had their share of weird novelty songs too-- I
> recall Bruce Bradley using segments of Screamin' Jay Hawkins' "I Put a
> Spell On You" as his favourite drop-in... Still, it's obvious the
> station used heavy dayparting and Summer probably had the most freedom
> to experiment.

I remember Bruce Bradley playing excerpts from "Grandpa's Grave"
regularly as part of his schtick in the early 60s.  Along with his
campaign to get people to send in their used teabags as pillows for
underprivileged sparrows.  And profiles of the Nutley Nutritional
High School Faculty.  When he did Dynaflow Needleman, the Drivers Ed
teacher, I identified him with my own Driver's Ed teacher.  Dynaflow
Needleman, however, had the distinction of having knitted his own car
from steel wool and having been the first to drive from Boston to
Honolulu nonstop and make all the lights.

> When Dick briefly programmed over at WMEX, he tried to create an AM
> version of free-form progressive in 1969, if my memory serves. It was
> called "The Human Thing", and It failed miserably.  But it was an
> interesting experiment.

I remember that, and I liked it.  Too bad not enough other people
did.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581