Worcester's Channel 5 allocation

Peter Murray pete@partnercomm.com
Tue Jul 25 17:08:53 EDT 2006

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006, Eli Polonsky wrote:

[snip]
> Weren't the very lowest channels in the UHF TV band,
> perhaps 14 through 16, re-allocated for two-way land
> mobile radio use in some areas, including Boston, in
> the 1970's? If WJZB had survived, wouldn't they have
> been forced to move up the dial?

As I recall, channels 14-20 are "shared" between Land Mobile radio
services and broadcast television. Some markets have TV stations allocated
in this spectra (WPHL 17, Philadelphia, WLYH 15, Lebanon PA), and others
do not (ex-WJZB, Channel 14, Worcester; ex-WNET, Channel 16, Providence).

Some interesting reading on this at Peter George's site - have a look at
his UHF Morgue:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/3514/morgue.html

-Peter

--