MyTV joins MyNetwork

Garrett Wollman wollman@csail.mit.edu
Sat Jul 22 21:37:52 EDT 2006

<<On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 16:05:31 -0400, Scott Fybush <scott@fybush.com> said:

> In any event, as long as the market is defined the way it is, the CBS,
> NBC and Fox affiliations aren't available to channel 50, since they're
> already very much taken for the entire "Boston market."

That is, of course, unless the current affiliates had decided they
wanted to buy those stations, to operate as satellites.  Today that
would make little economic sense; 25 years ago it might have.  But 25
years ago, none of the Boston "big 3" station owners were in a
position to do that -- David Mugar had just taken over channel 7 after
the RKO General affair, Boston Broadcasters was about to cash out at
channel 5, and I don't think Westinghouse would have wanted such a
station given the then-current national TV ownership cap.

It's interesting to consider what would have happened had Providence
been stuck with the one V it started with, or if channel 5 had
remained a Worcester allotment, or if channel 2 had actually made it
to the air as a commercial station.

-GAWollman