Joe Smith

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Mon Jul 10 12:55:57 EDT 2006

>Shaun wrote--
>
>Why isn't there a Boston Museum of Broadcasting to collect research into
>Boston radio history and its historical artifacts?  Determining where a major
>figure like Joe Smith was at a given time just shouldn't be this hard.

There have been plans off and on for such a museum, but funding is the
issue.  Scott, Dan, Garrett, Peter, myself and others do this research as a
labour of love.  I pay large sums out of my own pocket for databases and to
buy up memorabilia, and I am not the only one who does.  But what makes it
difficult to find dates of major figures is that (a) due media
consolidation, few stations are owned by the same people anymore,and the
new people often have no respect for the heritage of their station, and (b)
even those folks who do have respect did not always think to preserve some
of the now-rare memorabilia.  What I have found at flea markets amazes me--
forget looking for stuff on ebay (where you can find people charging
outrageous sums of cash for old magazines and photos); I mean I've found
old photos just lying around in the sun about to be thrown away because the
people getting rid of them had no clue who these folks were or why they
were important.

But that's the problem in a nutshell.  There is no one central repository
of top 40 information in most cities, and Boston is no exception.  The
museums that do exist (like the Museum of Broadcasting) are much more
interested in video than in audio, and many exhibits are about the great TV
shows of the 50s and 60s.  The history of top 40 radio and the great
d.j.'s?  Well, not so much.  So we are restricted to what we can find, as
well as to what the newspapers and magazines wrote about.  That is made
more complicated by the fact that the print media of the 50s hated rock
music.  I am friends with, and dearly love, Bill Buchanan-- one of the
nicest human beings who ever lived.  He was the radio columnist for the old
Boston Daily Record and later the Globe.  But back then he was among the
many Boston critics who despised the new pop music-- they all came from the
Big Band era, and thought rock was noise.  Bill wrote endless columns about
how awful rock music and rock d.j.'s were.  Most newspapers, however, just
ignored rock stations entirely.  And reclusive owners like Mac Richmond
didn't even send the daily listings of shows and d.j.'s to the newspapers--
perhaps because he fired so many of the d.j.'s so frequently, but also
because the rock stations and the local newspapers were such adversaries.

I'd love to compile an accurate listing of who was where and when they were
there.  I'm trying  my best to do that, as are the others who maintain the
Boston Radio Archives.  But it's not an easy task, given how scarce the
information and the artifacts are.