W1XAL shortwave station in Boston

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sun Jul 9 14:25:12 EDT 2006

> Just curious, after having read that the station migrated from
> Massachusetts
> to New York to Florida --- what are the FCC's rules regarding change in
> city
> of license in regard to shortwave stations?  Speaking of being "fuzzy on
> the
> details," it seems to me that it's a stretch to trace much of a continuity
> between a station in Florida and an antecedent station in Boston that
> existed years ago.  (I don't mean to sound snarky; it's just a layman's
> observation.) - Doug

I would disagree, strongly. The continuity was in fact very direct - WYFR
never went off the air during the transition from Scituate to Florida,
since it moved only one transmitter at a time. If I read the articles
correctly, there was a period of about two years when the station was
operating partially from Scituate and partially from Okeechobee. Even some
of the poles that supported the wire antennas were moved from
Massachusetts to Florida. And there's a very direct line from WYFR at
Scituate all the way back to W1XAL.

The FCC has no "city of license" rules for SW stations - as international
broadcasters, they're not supposed to be broadcasting to a domestic
audience, anyway. There have been other examples of SW stations moving
transmitters in more recent years, with the FCC's blessing.