Globe: At radio deal's end, Sox may be in play

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Jan 31 15:19:32 EST 2006

>I had hoped that once Infinity and Westinghouse Broadcasting merged
>that surely Patriots would return to WBZ, where they belonged. They
>don't belong on an alternative rocker. Never have.  I listen to  WBCN
>exactly 16 time a year (more if the Pats are in the playoffs). I
>create my own simulcasts, as I can't stand network TV announcers;
>otherwise it's a 'never listen' station.

The NFL's had a league-wide policy to try to get the games on FM
wherever possible. They like the idea of attracting younger audiences
that way, and they figure the older fans will follow the games
wherever they are. And it's good business for stations like BCN -
unlike baseball, hockey or basketball, it's a minimum of disruption
to the weekday schedule, with lots of ad revenue on what would
otherwise be fairly dead winter weekends.

There are only a handful of NFL teams that still have AM flagships
(the Jets are one, and the Bears, as well, I do believe.)

Most of the others are on either modern rock or classic rock
stations. Out here in Bills country, they're on both - Citadel
simulcasts them on both classic rock WGRF 96.9 ("97 Rock") and modern
rock WEDG 103.3 ("The Edge"), and Rochester gets them on classic rock
WCMF (96.5). It's actually a very good mesh with CMF's audience. They
do a Bills show every Monday night, and the morning show constantly
has players on.