UPN, WB to merge (affect on 38, 56?)

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Jan 24 22:51:17 EST 2006

At 10:54 PM 1/24/2006, Doug Drown wrote:
>I'm asking this question as a layman: Given that CBS and Time Warner will
>co-own the CW; that Hearst, NBC and ABC co-own A&E, etc.; does the FCC allow
>for joint ownership or majority/minority ownership of broadcasting stations?
>I think I read years ago that there was some sort of relationship between
>the Hildreth stations in Maine and LIN Broadcasting, but I may be wrong.

Sure - that's perfectly allowable. For instance, NBC's KXAS in Fort
Worth is actually owned jointly by NBC and LIN, though NBC has the
controlling interest. I think NBC also kept an interest in WKYC
Cleveland when it sold majority ownership to Gannett. Closer to home,
I think Scripps began with a minority interest in Shop at Home (WMFP,
WSAH) before it bought the network and stations outright.