UPN, WB to merge (affect on 38, 56?)

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Jan 24 12:13:56 EST 2006

>So who will carry it in the various markets? CBS/Viacom owns (or has
>some kind of
>LMA) WSBK 38 (UPN) and I believe Tribune Co. owns WLVI 56 (The WB).
>That's Boston, at least. Who will have the new net?

According to the press release I just read, WLVI will be "The CW"
affiliate in Boston, which means WSBK will go back to being an indie.

CBS-owned UPN affiliate WLWC will continue as "The CW" affiliate in
Providence, which should be no surprise to anyone, since there was
never a primary WB affiliate in Providence.

Tribune's WTXX (WB) will carry The CW in the Hartford market, leaving
LIN's WCTX (UPN) without an affiliation.

In Portland, Pegasus owns both WPXT (WB) and WPME (UPN), so it's
essentially up to them which one keeps The CW. I'd bet on WPXT, just
because of its more established cable carriage.

In Burlington, WB was carried late at night on Fox affiiate WFFF,
while UPN is on a network of LPTVs. I'd guess those LPTVs will
continue with The CW, but who knows?

In New York, Tribune's WPIX gets The CW. Fox is the big loser in this
deal, as it had the UPN affiliations in NY (WWOR), Chicago (WPWR), LA
(KCOP), Minneapolis (WFTC) and a few other markets, and stands to
lose all of them.