thoughts on newest 12 + ratings?

SteveOrdinetz hykker@grolen.com
Sun Jan 15 10:43:35 EST 2006

At 09:28 PM 1/14/2006, Larry Weil wrote:
>At 09:09 PM 1/14/2006, rogerkirk wrote:
>
>>IMHO, people our age tend to make their buying decisions a little more
>>carefully than they did in their 20's.  They value functionality, product
>>longevity and quality over what's 'HOT.'  Less likely to overspend on a
>>flashy sports car that gets poor gas mileage, but is 'HOT.' (Exemptions
>>available for 50-somethings experiencing late/mid-life crises that demand
>>the obligatory red sports car.)  Not as likely to buy a 'loaded' computer
>>for gaming - more likely to buy a modest one for e-mail and printing
>>pictures of the grandkids.  More likely to buy a basic cell phone to make
>>calls, not a $300+ model that takes pictures, plays music & videos, sends
>>Instant Messages, surfs the Internet and downloads Fitty-Cent
>>ring-tones.  In short, they stop to think before they buy, they're
>>typically more frugal and they're a heckuva lot harder to seduce with
>>Madison Avenue trickery.  It's probably much easier to get a 20-something
>>to part with his/her disposable income for something 'NEAT'.
>
>OK, I'm 55 (almost 56), so here's my take on this.  What you said, while
>somewhat of a generalization, is very true.  What this points to is not
>that those in our age group cannot be influenced by advertising, but
>rather it gives a good summary of how products and the advertising for
>them can be effectively aimed at people of this age.  But, I think there
>also is a market of older people who don't want to recognize their age,
>who want to seem forever young, and there certainly are products (hair
>coloring, for example) that appeals to them.

The big difference between  buying habits of people our age (I'm 55) and
those in their 20s is that we're not as likely to jump on the latest
fad...whether it be fashion, autos, music...whatever.  Our tastes are
pretty much set...this is not to say we're not open to new things, just
that we're more likely to think out a major purpose rather than jump on the
latest bandwagon for the sake of being trendy.  Madison Ave. likes instant
gratification, and most of us are a little more deliberate about our purchases.