Speaking of Beeeps

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Sat Jan 14 13:57:14 EST 2006

Bill Smith wrote:

 >  I bet if you hopped on the Motorola 2-way today, keyed >the mic and said
"KCG492 Base  to Unit 2,"  Mo would
>answer you.

   The "KCG492" WCAP newsroom base unit is no longer plugged in to the AC
outlet, and I don't believe Maurice Cohen has a mobile radio in his personal
vehicle, although the Motorola mobile 2-way is still mounted under the dash
in the 1974 GMC mobile studio.

Bill Smith continues:

> I just wonder if the Grace Kelly Memorial Flashing Lights, >installed per
> order of Ike Cohen after the ABC net bulletin on >her death went unaired,
> are still on the newsroom window  >opposite the sales manager's office...

   Those lights are no longer there. It's possible they are still in the
building , however, in the "museum warehouse" out back, piled amongst the
collection of broken desks, chairs and other assorted broadcast stuff,
including the Western Electric board that served as the main studio on-air
console back when WCAP first signed on in 1951. It seems that once something
enters the WCAP studios, it never leaves. <g>

Mark Watson