First LTAR Of The New Year This Sunday!

Stephanie Weil stephanie@gordsven.com
Wed Jan 11 19:46:30 EST 2006

On Wed, January 11, 2006 18:08, Dan Strassberg said:
> You will note
> that when the pastor who was leasing time on WSRO got into financial
> difficulties, his programs disappeared from 650 and were replaced by
> Portuguese programs, which seem now to occupy nearly the full schedule.

Welcome to the zoo that is leased-access radio.  If you can't afford the
air-time, there's always someone else in the wings ready to rent the slot.

These shows come and go constantly.  Most of the leased-access
transmitters here in New York City and surrounding suburbs (Long Island's
WGBB-1240, Newark, NJ's WNSW-1430; Elizabeth's WJDM-1530) are controlled
by Arthur Liu of Multicultural Broadcasting (I believe he also owns WLYN
in Lynn).

He has two of them in New York City (AM 93 and AM 1380) dedicated to
leased-access multi-ethnic shows.   While a couple programs have been on
the air for a few years, most last a year or two and then disappear.

Liu's AM 1480 transmitter is a companion station to his Chinese language
FM SCA service called Sinocast, which I believe is programmed in-house.
AM 1660 in Jersey City is leased to a Korean operator (previously on AM
1480).

There was a failed experiment with renting the AM 93 transmitter to a
Russian operator for 24/7 programming in Russian.  That lasted all of half
a year.

AM 1430 in Newark is rented out to various operators doing black Gospel
shows, Portugese shows, etc.

--
Stephanie Weil
New York City, NY, USA