WBZ Delay

Garrett Wollman wollman@csail.mit.edu
Wed Jan 4 12:57:42 EST 2006

<<On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 12:11:04 -0500, Todd Glickman <radio88@radio88.net> said:

> Recently, it appears as though WBZ-AM is running on 8-second delay
> 24/7.   They used to only be on delay during "talk hours" 7pm-5am.
> But now, the time tone beeps at xx:00:08, as seen on my
> satellite-driven clock.

Actually, I don't believe it was their practice to exit delay during
the news, except for broadcasts of live events.  The time tone was
inserted after the profanity delay, however, and now with IBOC there's
an additional eight-second codec delay.  Listen in the overnights and
take note of when the cue tone for the CBS hourly is heard.

> I'm sure there's a reason for staying on delay continuously, but
> shouldn't the time tone be in the airchain after the delay, to mark
> the exact top-of-the-hour?

Then the IBOC and analog audio would not be in sync.

-GAWollman