Severin's first night as a national talk host

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 03:14:26 EST 2006

Severin's first night as a national talk host (though technically he's
done this before;
when Gene Burns abruptly left his NYC-based national talk show over some kind of
dispute, Severin was brought in as a fill in)...

First of all, the show started with the intro of The Laura Ingraham show:
"THIS is the Best of Laura Ingraham", and a rerun from a couple weeks back
started to play. Board op mistake? Picked up nothing from the satellite?
Then abruptly we went into Jay, JIP-ed (joined in progress). He did seem
to be "live", blowing a noisemaker in a belated Happy New Year and he
started about Tookie getting executed "the other day". As in...Dec. 13???

Severin did briefly bring up the Abramoff matter along with "Not all
Muslims are terrorists, but all the terrorists so far have been Muslims"
(someone pointed out What about McVeigh?); he talked of religious extemists,
which brought out a caller who sounded like she belonged on Air America,
saying that all the bills that get passed by Congress are done by
far-right Christians, etc.

I'll admit I never really listened to Jimmy Severino in depth because he was
up against Howie,and I preferred Howie. Jay seemed pompous to me and
didn't really do self-deprecating humor like Howie and Hannity do. That still
seems to be the case. It's tough to pin him down politically: Republican?
No, he said he's not of either party. Conservative? Not necessarily--he
called himself a "radical Independent". Libertarian? Who knows.

It actually wasn't bad in some ways, and at least I had some political
stuff to listen to (the competition on WRKO is either Taste of Boston
or "Larry Bird's Not Coming Through That Door, Fans"); can't get into
Sully on WBZ.

Later there was a rerun of Ingraham, and then Hannity delayed by some 9
hours. The news had already broken that 12 of the 13 miners had been
found alive, but we were listening to something from 3 pm, well
before that news broke.