NY Post: Paul Harvey to be replaced?

iraapple iraapple@comcast.net
Sat Feb 11 10:10:22 EST 2006

This subject came up on June 25, 1998 also.  At that time I replied to Dan
as shown below in the quotes.  The program was on WBZ.  I am also pretty
sure what got Ted into trouble with the church was some extracurricular
affairs.   (For more detail go to:
http://lists.bostonradio.org/bri/v02/msg03051.html

Ira Apple

"I agree wholeheartedly with Dan's assessment of Garner Ted.  The delivery
and the writing of his programs were outstanding.  He also knew how to
increase time spent listening.  When Garner Ted had the famous fall-out with
his father I had a chance to do a talk show with him.  He told us that
before what he described as the shunning by his dad and the followers, each
day would bring in 33 full bags of mail almost all with money and checks.
After Ted left and went on his own, the donations to HW dropped to only
three bags a day.  I always thought that Garner Ted could have been a
success in any endeavor of his choice."

Ira Apple

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
Doug Drown
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006 9:01 AM
To: Dan Strassberg; Bob Nelson; Boston Radio Interest
Subject: Re: NY Post: Paul Harvey to be replaced?

I don't recall all the details, but I seem to remember that Garner Ted had
been in a scandal, and was removed not by his father (who may have died by
that time), but by the church leadership.  I believe this occurred after the
schism in the church, in which the mainstream body moved toward more
conventional, orthodox Christianity and the splinter group (led by Garner
Ted) retained the original doctrinal tenets.  The latter has since split at
least twice, and there are now several "competing" denominations, each of
which has a syndicated telecast.  There had been trouble brewing between
Garner Ted and Herbert long before all this happened.

-Doug