HD Gets A Boost

Matthew Osborne mattosborne1976@yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 16:47:43 EST 2006

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 19:38:04 Scott Fybush wrote:

> I'm not saying that HD Radio will necessarily be a
> success - my sense
> right now is that the AM system, thanks to its
> interference issues
> and its inability to multicast, will end up failing,

As it stands right now, if everything were to remain
exactly unchanged with AM IBOC, I would probably have
to agree with Scott on this.  However, here is a
question/hypothetical scenario:  this rollout
continues with pretty much all major FM outlets making
the conversion and adding multicasting to their
signals.  This goes over very well, and a few years
from now most people will own an IBOC receiver.  At
this point, a modification to the AM IBOC delivery is
made completely eliminating the analog portion of the
signal and replacing it with the digital information
that is now shoved onto first adjacent frequencies,
eliminating the interference issue.  Although this
would render analog AM obsolete, most people would be
able to receive the new digital AM signals and the
receivers could still receive a totally analog AM
signal until this change is complete.  Would this
change in signal delivery be possible without changing
the hardware in every existing IBOC receiver?  Does
anyone think this is feasible?

                                       Matt Osborne
                                       Schenectady, NY